On the Oregon Trail

On the Oregon Trail
Lauren, Katelyn, Matt and Jonathan

Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Disney Channel Addiction

"In the average home, the set (television) is on seven hours a day, with individual household members averaging three to four hours which means that someone living to age 80 would have spent a decade watching television." (Myer, 289)

"By the end of elementary school, the average child views some 8,000 TV murders and 100,000 other violent acts". (Myer, 289)

I was studying for my social psychology class, and found this information in my textbook, Exploring Social Psychology.
Last year, for Lent, I gave up television. I didn't think it would be a big deal, giving up my typical Disney Channel addiction and Arthur on PBS.

It was horrible. I never realized how much time my television watching had taken up. I found myself at a loss for what to do. I sat in my room and stared at myself in the mirror. I had time to think, to relfect, to stare out the window at the sunset.

I think I lasted about two weeks before I couldn't take it anymore, and turned my TV back on. I needed something mind-numbing, something distracting, and another reality to take over where mine was either failing to amuse me or too much to face.

After reading about how much time we actually do commit to an inanimate object, I started thinking, along the lines Jonathan did, at how wonderful this walk will be. I do not watch nearly as much television now, for lack of time and lack of a tv in my room, but there are still those moments that I waste, turning into a lard of fat on my bed or couch. Where will TV be walking across america? It will be watching us, following us, and tracking us down. It will be behind the lens of the camera....

I'll have so much time...to enjoy life as it comes, and see it with my own eyes. To experience it. Feel it, smell it, witness it, hear it, love it, hate it, enjoy it.

Well, I have to run to class and take a test and then to tech rehearsal tonight for my dance performance later this week.

Thanks to those that have been reading these posts and commenting, your words warm our hearts and encourage us for this crazy adventure we're planning to take.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There really was life before T.V., even before the Disney Channel! I remember coming home one day and my mother telling me a new program was going to be on television in the afternoon for kids. In those days, most television didn't start until after the Camel Caravan of News with John Cameron Swazey, brought to you by Timex -- it takes a licking and keeps on ticking. ANYWAY! The new program was The Mickey Mouse Club. I watched it every day. I had Mouseketter ears, knew all the songs for every day, and all the members of the cast. I won't bore you with the details.

I also remember friends coming to the door to ask me to play, and wanting them to wait until after the show was over. I wonder how many sunny afternoons I missed, how many games of tag, birds chirping, water gun fights . . .

I envy you the peace and quiet, and the adventure.